View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 10:47 PM   #79
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
The caveat is that this doesn't account for reflections or refraction of the sound waves. The water surface will reflect (depends hugely on the sea state/calmness) sound which will reinforce certain frequencies and cancel others depending on the distance.
So if I understand you correctly, this has a lot to do with how far sound carries at night, compared to midday. Part of it is the lack of background noise (other boats, cars, power tools, even wind), but another part of the equation is the flat water, which allows sound waves to carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
I brought my trusty RS sound meter up to the lake to get some objective data during bike week, perhaps next season (or this one when possible) I can collect some dockside data to better frame the situation.
That's a great idea. I wouldn't mind swinging by, as I want to try out some new clamp-on muffler tips. They clamp onto the outside of the thru-hulls, so we can do a test with just my internal muffler system, and then try the tips to see if they reduce the dB level by as much as the manufacturer claims.

Skip was kind enough to post the RSA back in the beginning of this thread, so we can read up on it and do the test under official conditions.

I could even call the MP and ask if they would let us use their official dB testing site over by Timber Island. As of last weekend, they still have all of the buoys in the water, both the ones to moor the test boat to as well as the ones to use as a guide when you do your runs. I snorkeled over there some months ago, and I noticed that the chain for the mooring is getting kinda thin, but I'm sure it will hold.

I have some friends who got tested (and passed), if they are willing and available, we could use their scores to calibrate your meter (or to adjust our test methodology).

I won't be up next weekend unfortunately, but maybe the one after that, if the weather holds. If not this winter, then next spring.

Rob