View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #283
Chimi

Another clear, concise letter to the editor of today's Laconia Daily Sun. Someone else who sees through Mr. Berthold's & WinnFABS continuous avoidance of the real issues. Thank you Mr. Stewart (Now please go register to vote because Mr. Berthold and WinnFABS will be checking on you for sure).

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story/terry-stewart-4-19

It's reasonable to allow for higher speeds on largest part of lake
Apr 20, 2011 12:00 am
To the editor, It’s very unfortunate that the fuddy duddies are still harping about the boating speed limit and wasting the valuable time of our state’s leadership. Given the more pressing problems we are facing I’d really prefer my representatives to keep their eye on th...
To the editor,

It’s very unfortunate that the fuddy duddies are still harping about the boating speed limit and wasting the valuable time of our state’s leadership. Given the more pressing problems we are facing I’d really prefer my representatives to keep their eye on the budget problems. I believe representative Forsythe used common sense in concluding that if we have faster speed limits on I-93 then we do on Rt.106, then it’s reasonable to have a faster speed limit in the Broads of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Of course, common sense doesn’t seem to matter to the WinnFABS crowd. WinnFABS local mouth piece, Mr. Bertholdt, has a lot of nerve accusing anyone of making misleading statements after some of the whoppers he’s been spouting. Most, if not all of his data, comes from waterways other than New Hampshire. Much of it is Coast Guard data encompassing every other body of water in the U.S., including our oceans. The problem for the WinnFABS folks is that the facts simply don’t support their rhetoric. The fact is that 90-percent of our lake’s boating fatalities occurred on boats that weren’t even moving and most of the others were alcohol related. I do agree with his statements on more rigid requirements on boater education, however that has little to do with speed limits.

Apparently Mr. Bertholdt hasn’t listened to one of his own lengthy tomes lately. He often refers to his opposition as “spoiled brats” and the “go fast make noise crowd”. You see it’s not about safety; it’s really about “those people”. Seriously, who would suggest canoeing in the middle of the Broads as a “safe” activity? Even with zero boats on the lake that would be dangerous on most days. As far as noise is concerned; thanks to WinnFABS efforts, we all get to listen to those loud boats go by slowly and for a much longer period of time. Life was clearly better when the noise simply went by quickly.

If we must have a speed limit, which we really don’t, then there isn’t any reason why it can’t be reasonable in the sense that it allows for higher speeds in the largest part of the lake that provides plenty of reaction time. The proposed 55 MPH daytime limit isn’t outrageous. Many of the “right kind” of people that Mr. Berthold would approve of own leisure craft and wave runners that are safely driven at that speed. Safety as whole won’t be effected by the speed limit change because it was never a factor to begin with. Can’t we all just get along and live with this change and move on with our lives?

Terry Stewart

Gilford
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chimi For This Useful Post: