View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #32
ApS

Lightbulb Solution...

In the front yard, I've got a Greenworks battery-powered wheelbarrow lying on its side. I'm working on it where it's in the warm sun. It's taken five hours--over two days--to get both tires (under warranty) off their keyed axles. (The tires had been shedding their tread lugs after only two years). Here's how I finally did it:

I drilled two holes through each steel rim. The holes line up with holes in a heavy piece of steel scrap.

Quarter-inch bolts were run through each hole, to act like an expensive gear-puller. Using three different "rust-buster" sprays, the rims finally broke free! A one-pound sledge hammer helped speed the process with each [alternate] tightening of the bolts.

Like most manufactured products from China, the quality of steel is poor. The shaft and nut will need filing and grinding to replace them properly. As the wheel slowly backed off, I centered a steel BB atop the shaft. That one move was a huge help in centering the puller's efforts.

In your case, those wheels, WITH new tubes and tires, can be bought for about $5 each, so they're worth sacrificing.

One warrantied tire is on "back order".

My new replacement tires will get a coating of paint, and will use 3M adhesive to keep the tires from rotating within the rims. Inflated, that'll keep the valve stems aligned--and away from damage.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote