View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 04:50 AM   #25
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Ok, sooo...I could use a sliding miter saw and new cordless tools. I'm pretty sure I'd buy a DeWalt miter saw, but I'm not sure about cordless tools. I'd be replacing a 13-year-old Hitachi set that has performed flawlessly.

If money was no object, which cordless kit would you buy? I need reciprocating saw, impact driver, circular saw, and a hammer/standard drill. I'm a standard homeowner that doesn't use the tools all the time but appreciate quality.
Ergonomics
Battery quality and amount

Probably the most important.

Black & Decker has bought up many of the name brands. Porter Cable, Craftsmen, and DeWalt - just a few.

If I were purchasing such now I would buy items that came with an extra battery - or purchase a 2nd battery now.

My first cordless drill was made in Germany. 1980's. That lasted over 20 years. That was before removable batteries. I did have the battery refurbished once. But by that time it was less expensive to purchase a complete new drill. And the batteries evolved into removable batteries. Many more brands entered the market.

In the early 2,000's - Home Depot had a Black Friday sale of Ryobi 12V cordless drills. $20.00 each. I purchased 4 - just for the extra batteries. I still have and use those cordless drills. I did have the batteries rebuilt one time for each.

I have since purchased Master Mechanic cordless drills - on deep discount/sale - when the hardware stores switched name or went out of business. Those work fine.

Ergonomics and batteries is the short answer.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote