Thread: Local service
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #36
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I would've fired this waiter .

I train my staff to understand that some people may come to a restaurant in a hurry and others may be joining friends or family they haven't seen in a very long time which may lead to an extended visit. We are in the business to accommodate both and therefore need to recognize who is who. I discourage our staff from looking at an individual tip. I encourage them instead to look at the end of the month total and ask them self if it was worth it then.
Completely agree with baygo. I used to be in the restaurant business, so I understand that servers need to turn tables to make more $$. But I also understand that sometimes people want to sit and have a chat over coffee, dessert, or cocktails. And those people should not be concerned with doing that. With that said, I am usually not one to do that, we usually have a couple drinks, eat our dinner, and go on our way. But if I wanted to sit there and chat with my family, I certainly would, and would not regret it for a second. As with all aspects of life, you have to take the good with the bad.