View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 10:42 AM   #6
Grant

McDude -- THANKS for posting. That's quite a find! Where did you get it?

Some history: In that first group shot of the folks sitting down the older gent in the glasses and the woman next to him are "Pa" and "Ma" Conlon, who were the directors from 1920-1938. The big lodge with the porch that is visible from the Lake is named after them. The fellow sitting next to the other woman is Hank Adams, who was at the Camp when I was there not only when I was there in the 1970s, but right up into the 1990s (I can't say exactly how long Hank was there, but I will say at least 60 years!). He was associated with the camp longer than anyone, and he and his wife Ruth, who died before him, were bona fide Belknap institutions. Hank taught school in the "off season," and helped my cousin by tutoring him during the summer. He was a tireless fund raiser for the camp, and a living resident historian, and a gentleman who embodied the spirit and tradition of the place.

I was a camper at Belknap for seven years, an employee for one year. My brother was a ten-year guy. My oldest son is heading back for his seventh year this summer, and my youngest will enjoy his first year under the pines.

Here's a great picture of Hank and Ruth Adams, which appears to have been taken in the 1970s.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote