View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 01:03 PM   #19
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Frame grabbing or ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
How does one do this? I'm not even sure I am able to post any video either.
It would depend of what you have for computer hardware. I'll assume that if you had some form of video input/capture hardware you wouldn't be asking so that leaves a DVD-ROM / player in your PC (or Mac). I've not tried it with mine, but I'm sure there's some way to freeze the playback and save the screen (given the right software). I'll see what I can do on my machine and let you know. If all you have is a stand-alone DVD player (no DVD in your PC or Mac) then you'd need a video capture device*. These can be had for not too much $$ but I wouldn't bother unless you think you want to get into the whole video editting thing on your PC (or Mac).

Alternately I guess you could freeze the picture on your TV (pause the DVD) and then use a digicam to take a picture of TV screen. It might not be high fidelity but then again it might just work well enough ...

*here's but 1 example of the simplest of such things.
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...559&pfp=BROWSE
There used to be devices known as frame grabbers that just made a "snap shot" of the video but I guess they are passe. Nowadays the analog video is converted into a digital video stream for storage on your hard disk and then, perhaps, burned to DVD.