View Single Post
Old 02-19-2024, 10:25 AM   #71
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
My neighbor sent me the following...

See attached deed granting Menotomy to the Arlington Girl Scouts. It says the trustees cannot sell it unless they go out of business (which they haven’t). If they did go out of business, then the next step was to try to find an entity of “like goals and ideals” to take it over (which they didn’t). Such an entity would likely have to be another girls camp (or maybe a boys camp could qualify). They would presumably be entitled to take it over for the same $1/yr rent that AGS was paying the trustees. Exhausting that search was the only way they were allowed to sell it. Problem is that only someone with standing could intervene to stop the sale, and that would only be the heirs of the grantors or any entity with those “like goals and ideals” who could contend that they were denied their right to take it over. My guess is that they paid the heirs (if there are any left) to quiet them, and they are hoping that none of the other area camps raise a stink
This is very interesting. I heard through the grapevine that they did try, but I do not know if they tried very hard or what the legal standard of try would be in this case. It's hard to understand how the summer camp business could be so tough that no one could do it with free land. OTOH, I guess camps have always had "free" land
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote