View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #28
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I have dealt with many situations with Dogs, and had to deal with oncoming dogs while walking my own. There is no right or wrong advice here, there are just many avenues to go down.

1. I don't recommend carrying a stick... as some other have said this just tends to make matters worse. If you need it to walk well then that is a different story all together.

2. Do report the incident to the police. There may be other complaints, and once enough complaints have been filed, the Police can step in on the side of public safety.

3. Don't feel bad about deciding to defend yourself and your dog in your situation, from the sounds of it you felt threatened and you do have the right to defend yourself.

4. However the issue sounds as through it was between the dogs, you kicking that the bulldog my have only antagonized the situation. Only get in the middle of the dogs if you know you can end it, as has already been said.
If you don't feel you can control the situation, it is better to back off and wait for the other dog owner to assist.

It would certainly suck to loose a family pet because of a dog fight don't get me wrong. However getting yourself in the middle and getting mangled in the middle is not worth it. (Self preservation 101)...

With all that said, I still don't think the other dog owner acted at all appropriately... he should have been right over, and helped you get control of the situation. And apologized.... But some people just don't get it...

I have a springer spaniel, that barks at passer bys all the time, and everyone in the neighborhood knows it, but also knows, once he gets close to them he will roll over and ask for his stomach to be scratched.... But even at that, every time he barks someone down, for a belly rub, I still apologize....