Thread: Ice In
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #39
Resident 2B

I look at long range weather models as a hobby. They are not always correct, but they do show a trend. Within the last week, two of these long range models have started to show that cold weather, below normal cold weather that is, is coming.

These two models are predicting each of the next three months of 2012 will be below normal temperature-wise in our part of the world. Since it appears the first week or so of January will be near or very slightly above normal, this tells me that it is possible the colder than normal weather will get going soon after the first week in January.

If this happens, it could "rescue" the winter activities on the lake. However, we are well behind where we should be this time of the year and as we get into late January, the sun angle gets higher and that starts impacting ice growth, especially if there is no snow on the ice to reflect back the suns rays.

Bottom line is, IF these two long range models are correct, we could still have a reasonable winter. However, if they do not have it right and the warm trend of the last six months continues, we will remember this winter as one with poor, unsafe ice conditions.

I only have been looking at temperatures, not the more complicated view on precipitation, so I am not saying these models are predicting big snow storms. They might or might not be doing this, I have not looked at this that deeply. We need to get it cold first.

I share this only to say there is a possible light at the end of the tunnel. Let's hope it is not another train!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote