Thread: Ice In
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Ok, so I know it's been unusually warm, and we really can't define "Ice-In". But with the forecast now showing more normal nighttime temps well below freezing, and the water temperature approaching the 30's, it's time for ice reports. I expect we'll start seeing areas of skim ice within the next week. This thread will serve for those posts.

The lake normally is mostly iced-in by early January. Despite this year's warm Fall temps, the water temperatures seem to be fairly normal for this time of year (plus or minus a few degrees). It will be interesting to see how it evolves this year.
I know that I always do this to the first post about ice-in every year but we are weeks away from ice on anything but the smaller lakes and shallow ponds.

It takes quite a while for the top layer (several feet) of water to reach the uniform 39 degree threshold of maximum density that is required for it to freeze. Then you need several nights of clear, calm, and cold (0-10 degrees) to make it all happen. Time will tell....

BT