Thread: serious toon
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
FlyingScot

Default Not so sure it's jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I greatly enjoy this forum, but there is a prevailing element of jealousy from many posters. The level of distain directed to people having nice things, whether boats, houses, gated communities, etc., is beyond belief. When I see a nice boat on the lake, I think, wow, that's a great boat. I'm happy for the person/family who owns the boat. It doesn't make me jealous or lament that I'm driving a 2001 23' boat. I think I'm pretty lucky to be able to experience boating on the most beautiful lake on the planet.

In America, it used to be a noble goal to study and work hard, make something of yourself to achieve things that were thought to be unachievable. We admired people who are successful. Now we tear them down. Just look at how the media is treating our current president. I think Adam Carolla nails the reasons behind this jealousy in his podcast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQpXybTnGVg
I think the level of discourse is excellent overall, and I can't remember specific posts where I thought the writer was jealous. In the boat case just for example, I view twin 400s on a toon the same way I might view a Ferrari--it's awesome and kind of silly at the same time. One thing about high powered or very large boats is that they often (though not always) create bigger noise and bigger wakes than more modest vessels. Perhaps this perception is what drives the antipathy?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote