View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 03:44 AM   #12
ApS

Question Loons' Special Call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
No, it's a sign to tell boaters that there is a baby loon floating around in the area where they put the sign and to watch out for it. Sometimes they do put signs out when the loons are actually still nesting but that is a different sign. Unfortunately I think this one was put out to late to save the baby. A boat could have hit it, the eagle could have gotten it. I am told snapping turtles won't eat them but I don't know if that is true. Another loon will also kill it and two people told me they saw loons fighting just before the baby seemed to be missing. The traffic was pretty heavy the weekend before it went missing with a wake boat going around and around in the area where it was. So we will never know what happened but we are pretty sure it is a sad ending. The pair had two babies and they weren't feeding the other one, so the Loon Society took it to rehab but it also didn't make it. So sad.
Have you heard the noisy fuss the Loons (and other critters) make when an eagle is overhead?