View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #37
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushaggerb View Post
Bit of apples and oranges.

The thing that caught us by surprise when it was my son's turn was how the private schools' sticker prices (around $60,000) were way above what they actually offered: they threw quite a bit of money at my son to make it more attractive. Someone fact check, but I've heard the lowest amount of debt per student is from the Ivy League schools. Again, their sticker price is easily $60,000, but once they admit, they put out a good deal of financial assistance (grants not loans) to their students.
I can’t speak about student loan debt at the Ivy League schools. However, my daughter went to the George Washington University in DC in 1994 and graduated in 1998 with only $13,000 total in student loans.
At the time, if it wasn’t the most expensive college in the United States it was the second most expensive. And we were going through the worst financial time of our life. She had mostly all scholarships and grants as well as Pell Grants and just a couple of subsidized loans that had to be paid back.

She chose to go on to grad school and that is where she acquired most of her student loan debt. She then had $52,000 after graduate school.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote