View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
mbhoward

All,

I just received an email today from the AMC urging me to support the bill (!). I've reproduced the message below in its entirety. They obviously don't know me as I am against any speed limits. Still, I am a little saddened that the AMC would shotgun out a message like this to it's members in NH. At least, I think that's how I got this email. I am an AMC member and have even stayed in the lodges with a friend. Overall, I like and support the organization but I REALLY don't like this. Clearly the troops are being mobilized.

Mark

This message is reproduced without any modifications or edits. A simple cut and paste so please don't yell at or blame me for what they say.

===============

Ask your State Senator to Support SB 464
Dear Mark,

The New Hampshire State Senate will soon be voting on a bill, SB 464, to make permanent the 45/25 mph speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee that was in effect last summer (2009), and will be in effect this summer (2010), but is scheduled to expire in January 2011.

Summer 2009 showed that the 45/25 mph speed limits do, indeed, work. Many more kayaks were seen on Lake Winnipesaukee, and many residents expressed feeling safer and enjoying their time on the lake more. Most boats abided by the speed limits, and no major speed-related accidents occurred. Making the speed limits permanent will only enhance compliance, as more boaters will know about and expect the limits, and users of the lake—including tourists, campers, and, of course, families—will have certainty that the lake will be a safer place to recreate.

If you have an experience of how the speed limits improved your experience of the lake this past summer, please email or call your State Senator today. Your personal story is the most effective and persuasive information your Senator can receive. But even if you don’t have a personal story, please take the time to email or call your State Senator in support of SB 464. Here is some information you might find helpful:

⋅SB 464 is supported by the NH Camp Directors Association, 12 marinas, and thousands of Lake Winnipesaukee users and residents;
⋅Speed kills, be it on a highway or on a lake. New Hampshire has speed limits on its highways, its 7000 miles of motorized trails (for ATVs, dirt bikes, and snowmobiles), and many of its lakes and ponds. Speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee will help protect the resource as well as the recreational experience for a broader spectrum of users;
⋅Lake conditions are often unpredictable and sometimes chaotic. Boats have no brakes, headlights, or side mirrors. Unlike our highways, lakes do not have lane markings or traffic signals. Instead, lakes do have constantly changing conditions: waves, wind, and often compromised visibility. Traffic goes in all directions. As on roads in town centers, or on multi-use trails, where many different types of users are side-by-side, the 45/25 mph speed limits allow a safer coexistence of all lake enthusiasts.

(Signed by Susan Arnold)

Director of Conservation
Appalachian Mountain Club