Thread: Anchor fit
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I know this has been debated long ago, and I respect the research that thinkxingu and others have done ………. but we went for the "Fortress" back 3 seasons ago and have been absolutely AMAZED at how this thing grabs first time/every time and holds rock solid in the toughest of sandbar wave/wind conditions.

The biggest plus is that it is light as a feather, so my wife has no issues handling it.
If you recall, there were 4 anchors I found to be overall reliable: Mantus, Digger, Box, and Fortress. In fact, Fortress almost always proves to be the strongest hold overall--in a linear application. With any amount of swinging, the others begin to do a better job.

This was confirmed just yesterday in Smith Cove, when our friends had to reset their Fortress twice in three hours because their swinging boat kept slipping whereas our Mantus resets almost immediately when shifted. This doesn't happen often at all--the winds in that cove shift more than most places--but our pontoon's large bimini makes it something we need to deal with.

For the record, Fortress ≠ standard Danforth. Almost every new and rental boat comes with that crappy Seachoice anchor, which LOOKS LIKE a Fortress, but the geometry and small details are much different.

Side note: why marinas do that is absurd to me--sandbar visitors get so annoyed being unable to easily set while also risking negative interactions with others. I think even the boat club place has the same crappy anchors, because somebody I helped last week muttered something about paying enough for good equipment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: