View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #31
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts

I'm enjoying the thread about the 30' tug. Thank you. Around 1960, Floyd Miller built docks and a breakwater for my family on Welch Island. Since the tug apparently said "Miller Marine", "Dock Building" and "Pile Driving" on the wheel house, I wonder if this is the same operation? At the time (1960+), Miller owned a barge and crane and a 26' Steelcraft boat that was used to push the barge and to transport workers. I believe he lived in Wentworth Cove and stored the barge on the beach there in the winter. The current tug site adds to the possible connection by geography, as opposed to finding the tug in, say, Alton Bay or Wolfeboro.

I recall a story that Miller was transporting a load of rocks from Welch Island to a work site when his barge started taking on water faster than the pumps could handle, the load having brought the waterline up to where the topsides were not swollen or watertight. The solution was to start up the crane and throw rocks overboard until the barge gained freeboard. This could have created an "artificial" rock pile a few hundred yards SW of FL68. I believe it was common practice in those days to "mine" rocks from the Witches and island shore fronts for breakwater construction elsewhere.
I considered posting this inquiry, but was reluctant to intrude on privacy between you and tug owner's son.

Anyway, is the Miller Marine Tug the same Miller?
Thanks for any info.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote