View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 08:25 AM   #25
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

Oops... Am I suffering from " wrong-think"?
I think you are, there is a lot EV hate out there. The batteries are being improved so they are almost fully recyclable.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-100-...cycling-model/

I would also like to see the same analysis as far as earth to product done on gas cars, I'm pretty sure the impacts would be close to the same.

Power production will always be a point of contention. But pound for pound, btu for btu, kw for kw. An internal combustion engine can not come close to the efficiency of an EV. That is pretty much a given now, and will be in the future IMO.

Fossil fuels are in our future for probably at least another 50 years for electricity generation. Solar and wind are just not viable alternatives now, in the near future and possibly beyond then. That leaves nuclear, which would be great but has grass roots opposition. Hydro, which unfortunately would be impossible to scale to the degree necessary to replace fossil. There just isn't any alternatives available presently to justify the wholesale shutdown of fossil.

I think solar and wind my have a chance if our ability to store generated power takes a quantum leap in the next few years. But I'm not holding my breath, and your head would explode if you did an analysis of raw materials to get there versus the materials required for a similar output coal plant.

We need to act intelligently as we try to ween off of fossil fuels. The ignorance being shown now is going to kill people.

I've decided that an EV works for let's say 98% of my driving. For the other 2 % it's less convenient or would require me to rent an appropriate vehicle. When my present car runs out, I'm making the leap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post: