View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #68
ApS

Question Whose Responsibility, Anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Yes, no and maybe.

Yes the picture shows the correct perspective.
No, it should not be painted orange. But a reflective color would make it easier to see.
The photo showed several kayak colors, all nearly equal in visibility—especially when viewed through Polaroids​®—with a baseball cap "worn frontwards". A flash from a CD could remind them of a poor, but common, practices—plus life-saving "eye equipment" against the glare of the sunny day.

Why is it that the NHMP boats are grey in color—and why are the fastest of Lake Winnipesaukee's 40-foot speedboats painted orange?

Yes, there are times when even large boats are disguised:

Is the captain going too fast for these conditions?

Quote:
I also would like to ask you why you are so opposed to the thought that some water craft are difficult to see in certain conditions?
Honest question. You have mentioned before that you keep a CD on your sailboat to reflect the sun in boaters eyes so they can see you. To me, that means that you feel that your vessel is difficult to see.
​​•​ ​With 75 square feet of sail—including the colors neon-yellow and neon-orange—you'd think that I would be easy to see.

​​•​ ​I now use an equally effective "mini-CD", and only go out when it's sunny. Most boaters in my locale have now been "trained", and I usually get a knowing acknowledgement, whether or not I "advise" them by "solar-CD".

Latest: "Nice new sail".

Quote:
I do think that kayakers, canoers, and operators of other small craft that are difficult to see should take some personal responsibility to protect themselves.
Would you have a problem seeing a SUP which has freeboard of four inches? SUP operators are, after all, the "pedestrians of the waters". (Who don't step out from behind vans).

​​•​ ​Canoes average about 15-feet long. A 150' rule "visual" would include 10 canoes in a straight line. That's actually a greater distance than you (and I) think offhand.

​​•​ ​Kayaks, if anything, have gotten smaller, with the roto-molded craft gaining rapidly in numbers. It's incumbent on the faster boaters who share these waters to slow down to keep a "proper" watch.

​​•​ ​Member DaveR said it best with, "When on an apparent collision course, it only takes a turn of a few degrees to pass behind the other craft."

This is especially valuable to a sailboat, which benefits from the "push" of a wake from behind; otherwise, it can stop them dead in the water—or soak everyone on board.

​​•​ ​I wrote here 11 years ago, that boats tend to be distracted towards my sailboat, even though we may be the only two boats out on The Broads. My sail does not have "Free Beer" posted on it!

​​The following is an example of distraction—a 30-second favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...ZDIwaRWCl0#t=3

​​​Although not the shortest video out there among Winni boaters: https://vimeo.com/139038429