View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #107
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Transfer Stations.

After living in a number of towns on the past decades, I can't believe the disparity betweene towns. For instance Hooksett is voluntary recycling with seperate bins for glass, plastic etc. What I like is that there is plenty of room to do the seperation from a single receptacle at the station. No one is watching you like a hawk. You can also recycle electronics, appliances, furniture and metals at no extra cost. Just place the materials in their respective piles.

As for Laconia, the town has single stream recycling. They also have recycling bins at the DPW on Morrill St. But if you want to recycle larger appliances, furniture, metals and electronics, you need to take a trip to the city hall for a pass and then another trip to the transfer station on Meredith Center Road. The transfer station has limited hours, so you need to plan ahead to recycle large stuffs.

With my schedule it is tough to get to the Laconia transfer station on time. There was a number of occasions that it was easier for me to drop the larger stuff off at Hooksett than Laconia. I have property in Hooksett so I don't feel guilty.

Hooksett will take hazardous waste and motor oil anytime. Laconia has two days a year that they will accept hazardous waste. In the past three years I had other plans on the Laconia hazarous waste days. So I take my hazardous waste to Hooksett.

Why can't all towns have similar schedules and be able to open for those who have regular 9-5 jobs and commute 2 hours a day?