View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

You need to have somebody familiar with structural engineering to come have a look at what you got to ensure you can do what you're considering. Usually adding a second floor can be done however it's not as easy as just taking the roof off and up you go. The existing foundation, exterior wall construction and interior wall placement all play a part in what you're doing as is the support of and construction of the new roof.

How much modification that needs to be done to the existing structure may vary therefore difficult to estimate the cost. You also have to be ready to consider that it may be necessary to install structural walls in the first floor to support a second floor and that may interfere with your vision a little bit.

This type of building modification needs to be designed and executed by somebody who is competent in this kind of work, it is not trivial nor is it a job for your average guy. I've seen several houses ruined by contractors that have no clue what they are doing so shop wisely for the right person. In fact if I were to consider this I'd have a word with the local building inspector to get a recommendation. They know who is good is and who isn't.

Good luck!!!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote