View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #26
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
The problem is the lake probably can't even support half of what happens in it every year.... Further more if you cut the footprint in half... that many more people will likely find there way to the lake...

We can debate this until the cows come home... Problem is the lake is over used .... like many other great bodies of water, it has and will continue to degrade.... Once it finally stops being the oasis that everyone wants it to be and starts to get less use, it will over time clean itself out and become pristine once again. How long such a cycle will take is anyone guess....

Don't get me wrong, I love the lake.... I don't love how the towns have grown up, and how the lake front scenery has changed from cottages and camps to year around estates... but I love the lake.... All the change has had an impact.... By the time I am ready to retire, the impact is likely to be that it is no longer the type of area I would like to retire in so I will look elsewhere for my retirement... some place that has hopefully been less impacted by the human factor but still allows me to enjoy life the way I like, on a boat.
I don't think the problem with the lake is that it is "over used", I think the problem (with this lake in particular), is that everyone that uses it thinks that they own it, and wants it all to themselves. Seems like everybody is just looking to complain about what someone else is doing instead of just minding their own business and enjoying the lake doing whatever it is they like to do. If you like peace and quiet, I'm pretty sure that if you invest on Lake Umbagog, you will have plenty of time to retire up there before it turns into what Winnepesaukee is today!! Both bodies of water have their pros and cons... Just curious, what other "bodies of water" are you referring to that have been "degraded"?
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote