View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
codeman671

Our first renters left tonight. Very nice people. The house was left in good shape.

One problem did come up, the hot tub. We have an 8 person tub and it was trashed. I had just filled it recently, installed new filters and checked the chemicals in front of the renter to show it was up to par. I have a hose set up to wash feet and explained thoroughly about its use.

It was down 8 inches of water, the filters were so clogged it threw an error code (shuts the heater down), the bottom was full of sand and the color/smell are almost indescribable. I pulled the drain plug as there is no rescuing it, tossed both filters and will have to completely blow the lines out, sanitize and refill it with new filters installed. It will take 500 gallons of water, $100+ in filters and at least a half day to deal with it.

Has anyone had this happen before? Should I just lock the tub going forward and make it off limits or put a hefty fee in if it needs to be serviced like this? One concern is that if I ever run into a situation where I have back to back renters (check out in the morning and another party coming in that evening) I would never have enough time to deal with a mess like this properly.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote