Thread: July 21-28
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #9
garysanfran

Default Just wait ten minutes and it will change...

That's New England.

I commented to some friends in California that my weather monitoring app from Yahoo weather, forecasting weather in Meredith (don't know from where the data originates), quite often has a little cloud icon with three rain drops coming from it and the forecast reads "Sunny...Chance of rain 0%". In other forecasts, it shows a sun icon, no clouds, then when it starts raining, the forecast on the app changes.

In summer in San Francisco, you will notice the meteorologist could wear the same clothes every day and say the same words, every day. They could record the forecast once at the beginning of the season and re-broadcast the same recording for every news cycle for the remainder of the season....Summer?...Fog and calm winds in the morning, burning off by noon with winds and fog picking back up by 4:00 pm...

Making wedding plans in California requires no backup "rain" plan.

Just a bit of an aside story...I had an office in Lafayette, CA...24 miles east of San Fran. One very hot summer day, the official temp. in Lafayette was 117. I drove home to SF, 24 miles, the official temp. there was 55. Same altitude. Where else can there be such a variation in temp., travelling only 24 miles? If you've been to SF, you may have noticed that Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 have more sweatshirt shops than any place on earth. SF is not your stereotypical California surfer's paradise...it's cold in the summah! The physics as to why is quite interesting...

I do miss the thunder and lightening storms, more common in The Lakes Region, but when we get one in SF, it's like nothing seen around here. There can be a thousand bolts in the sky at once, travelling in all directions. Only seen two in 40 years.

But, again, my caffeine is causing rambling!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post: