View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Pat on the back LIforrelaxin

I have live on the lake during the 50's,60's and 70's. Maintain a watercraft or two up to the present.

The 60's and 70's were great times without all the aforementioned laws. Water skiing was at its peak and the water ski races on Winnipesaukee and Winnisquam were the favorite pastimes of the youth. Opechee had hosted many water ski exhibits and national slalom exhibits, it was a much see!

Today, not much to do and everyone is bored and cranky. The lake has also gotten crowded hence the lake rage we are witnessing. Bored property owners think the solution is to legislate the heck out of boating. I have even heard talk of changing the lake into a reservoir and ban boating altogether!

The water safety course is an important step, unfortunately it does not teach common sense. The 150' rule does make sense in most cases but is difficult to enforce. The signs 'No Wake' and 'Headway Speed' are used interchangeable and confused the heck out of seasoned boaters. The 30 mph night speed is a no brainer as any experienced skipper will approach a dark night at no more than planing speed. Glad to have this on board.

The infamous 45 does not practice reasonableness and prudency. I now see skippers using it as an excuse to go 45 when it is dangerous to do so! 45 does not bother me as I have yet to be pulled over going beyond that when it is reasonable and prudence to do so. I have been passed many times by the 'tooners when I am at speed. Perhaps the MP seems to think they can do no wrong?

The number of MP enforcement is roughly the same today as it was decades ago. The number of registered boaters have increase tremendously a decade ago but peaked out in 2007. With more laws to enforce, more boaters and as many or less officers to police the waters sounds like a means to no end!

Unfortunately the state legislature are hearing the lake is safer than it ever had been from those who like to take away our freedom. Yet if you talk to the native seasoned boaters, they will beg to differ.

I don't find the lake safer. Weekends during season is like the Wild West. I actually feel safer on the intercoastals! Sunday after 5 to Friday before noon provides a safe haven for responsible boaters as we no longer need to drive defensively. Crowd control on weekends is what we need!