Thread: Pier 19 Store
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Grant:

The grocery business is brutal. There is no money in it at all. The Walmarts of the world sell product at retail that is less than what a mom and pop can buy product at wholesale! This location has had problems supporting its self for years. The price at $1.6MM is way too high in my opinion. I think the price of that building needs to be half of the asking price before that is a viable location for a grocery store. The locals drive to Walmart most of the time to get better prices and the seasonal folks are only there to pay premium prices a few months a year. If you were to run the business only on a seasonal basis the price would need to be much lower to account for the fact that it would be closed 7 or 8 months per year.
Yeah, history seems to support this. I suppose it's the idealist in me that sees it as an opportunity. And I know nothing about the business. Where's the closest WalMart to Tuftonboro? I think it's over on the other side of the pond...