View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
lawn psycho

FLL, I bought my house lot (in NH) in a subdivision this last year at ~40% of what the assessment was. Pretty much what the lot is worth is what I paid, not a distress sale, etc. I bought with no agent do that saved me some money as well since he dropped price accordingly to help get the sale.

Went to assessors office when visiting office for other item and she said, "I stand behind the assessment and just think you got a really good deal."
I was going to jam it down their throats but since house will get built on the lot in less than a year and assessment will change again, I will fight it them.

Of the few houses in the subdivision they are all assesses at far above their true market value. Not. Even. Close.

I like how it's done in NC. You buy house/property and that very day it's online in the database for Registry of Deeds (and accessible easily by John Q Public). The tax is based off the sale price and they don't let towns and cities go longer than 7 years between town wide assessment. At least that makes for some level of parity. And, they have a way of stopping guys who finish their basement/addition and never get permits.... and it's very effective too.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote