View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I happen to like my Ford but to each his own! I've owned several over the years. I currently have a 2001 F-250 and a 1990 T-Bird Supercoupe. For the record, my F-250 was built in Kentucky almost 11 yrs ago!

As for Toyota, I'll grant you the engines are solid and the manual trannys seem to be pretty good as well but as far as I'm concerned, the quality ends there. If you recall, Toyota did a fairly large recall on their Tacoma trucks because the frames were rotting out from underneath them!! I had a 1982 SR-5 pickup that suffered from frame rot when it was only 8 yrs old; I haven't bought another Toyota truck since! My F-250 is showing it's age but that's due mostly to the amount of salt dumped on the roads in the winter. If people learned how to drive in snow (or stay home if they're afraid to!), we wouldn't be using so much salt on the roads and rotting our vehicles right out from underneath us!

Here's a quick comparison of frame strength between a Toyota Tundra frame and a Ford F-150; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE.

NH DOES have a lemon law; http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/lemonlaw/.
I own a 2004 F-350 SD Diesel, with over 5K in warranty work in the first 3 years alone.
Rust thru on the body for the second time with it being cab corners now.
Fuel injectors, fuel pumps, drive shafts just to name a few of the REPEAT problems, and now it’s fuel injectors, fuel injector control module and turbo and the truck only has 115K on it. For a diesel that’s just barely broken in.
My wife was a GM person who had multiple problems with the 1500 and 2500 HD trucks she bought so we went to Ford for the Super Duty.
I owned a 97 T-100 Toyota and put 107K miles on it and the only thing I replaced in 10 years was a clutch. Also it didn’t have any rust on it when I got rid of it.
Now if you add up all the recalls foreign car manufacturers have had it doesn’t even put a dent in the shoddy American made junk being produced now.
Unfortunately until a reputable manufacturer comes up with a 1 ton truck that will do what the 350 will do I’m stuck.
I will say though that rusting out aside the old Fords were the way to go. I always used them as plow trucks back in the 90’s.
Ever since GM went to independent front suspension their trucks are worth crap for plowing but they are by far the most comfortable trucks to drive in.
Honestly I believe it’s the unions that are the problem with the quality of American products.