View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #121
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda321 View Post
This thread is frankly disturbing to read as someone in their 30s. If I were to show half as much contempt towards the older generation for ratcheting up the skyrocketing debt and destroying the environment or whatever else thing about the world we inherited, y'all would lambast me for being disrespectful to others.

I also have high suspicions on which of you don't actually know many (or any) people of the generation you lambast, and would share my own stories but suspect you will be reading it to cherry pick what fits your preconceptions, and I have better things to do. But as someone who recently joined this forum, I'm not sure I feel all that welcome now.
A difference of opinion should not be a measure of whether or not you "feel" welcome or not. Ideally, if you have a particular thought and you truly aspire to that belief then defend it. To simply subjugate yourself to like minded people is easy and frankly rather close minded. Never know, when you have a discussion with somebody who happens to hold a different point of view, you likely will come away from a conversation either with more conviction or could learn something you didn't know or didn't consider that may change your way of thinking. It's a good exercise to have, so long as the conversation is constructive.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the older generations, while it is easy to cherry pick what they may have not done well, it's also worthwhile to consider what they did right. Even the best baseball player in the world didn't bat 1000. Some of the most ingenious engineering marvels today were built out of yesterday's repeated failures.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: