View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #40
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Were I you I would have the coil cleaned and replace the mixing valve if the boiler is not leaking. That should cost a few hundred bucks. A lot better than $5,500. Once they flush it out I doubt you would have any sediment issues. Personally I hate coils and would never install another were I putting in a new boiler. In fact, my coil started acting up on my summer house and I put a super stor in, worth every penny in my opinion. That was about 6 years ago, old boiler is still going strong. But if money is an issue, I would have the coil cleaned and put a new mixing valve in.

I don't believe in replacing boilers until they start leaking, any increase in efficiency is small compared to the cost of replacement. I like to get every last penny out of stuff.
My oil consumption went way down after replacing my 30 year old boiler. I estimate a five year payback after seeing my oil bill drop this winter and this winter was much colder than the year before. And oil was more expensive this winter than the year before. Since it's a second home I sleep better not worrying about a 30 year old boiler crapping out and my place freezing up. To each his own.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote