Thread: Sunday morning
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #48
MeredithMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
I concur with many observations expressed in this thread but one thing I disagree with is the frequent pointing of fingers at 'out-of-staters'. I spend five months each year at our home on Lake Winni and seven months in CT. So, I guess that makes me one of those out-of-staters - identified I suppose by my CT license plates or by my 'poor behavior'. To some it seems, the 'in-stater' can do no wrong. Despite my label, I do my best to be respectful of others whether on or off the lake, in CT or NH - wherever. Of course, like everyone, I'm not immune to making mistakes or executing poor judgment and when I do, it probably irritates someone. But what makes some think that 'in-staters' are any better than 'out-of-staters'?

One problem, as JDarby points out above, is the USA has become a country of 'me'. A good percentage of us have become so insular - technologically, politically, socially, geographically - that we've stopped caring for one another. So, we flip the bird instead of waving. We blame others and fail to admit our own mistakes. Our opinions are the only ones that matter. We don't listen. We lack tolerance. We fail to trust others. Our frustration begets anger rather than forgiveness. All of this manifests itself in our daily activities be it driving a car, piloting a boat, dining in a restaurant, judging the actions of our neighbors, failing to be cognizant of our own behaviors and, yes, participating in the Lake Winnipesaukee Forum.

Folks, this isn't restricted to 'out-of-staters'. This is the new American way.
You make a very valid point. We moved to NH permanently in mid 2019. Prior to that, both my wife and I were MA natives, with the exception of 7 yrs in southwest CT. We have had a place on the lake since Gerald Ford was President. There were numerous times in those 40 years that our MA or CT license plates caused some locals to turn into lunatics. One person once followed us to the grocery store and then verbally berated us from their car that we were coming here to ruin the state. I kid you not. Of course the vast majority of out-of-state visitors or part-time residents love the area and are completely respectful to everyone and everything. But it's pretty obvious to me that in our current Corona situation, there is a HUGE increase in volume of day-trippers and day-boaters, and many of them are here just for their short-term gratification and don't care about anyone or anything else.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote