View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
It really depends on how big the confined area is, I guess... Over west of Sunapee in Croydon area, there is a 25,000+ acre (!) fenced ranch owned privately called Corbin Park. Lots of room for animals to roam and get away from hunters. This is a very exclusive hunting area, that still has elk. This place actually had a herd of buffalo that was used to repopulate the American West (if you've ever been to Yellowstone, you've seen the NH herd's descendants!) after the bison out west were wiped out. So without a private hunting preserve, we wouldn't have any wild buffalo - always trade-offs...

Corbin Park also had wild hogs that were imported from Europe for hunting. They escaped the fence after a storm way back, and have spread in the wild. That would be a long way to go though to make it up to Center Harbor!
I’ve been in Corbin several times. It is impressive. Pigs escape periodically and destroy local lawns. The park fixes the situations when notified. I suppose it is possible some pigs escaped and made their way to Center Harbor over time.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote