View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #18
KittyHawk

Default Thanks to Waco1148

I was copied in on an email thread from you which ran to Dick Jackson, looking for stories on this Kitty Hawk - my thanks to you for pursuing the investigation further for me!

New wing spars for all 4 wing panels are roughed out. A local specialty cabinet mill with a huge CNC pin router cut out the pockets - the time consuming part of the job. A few hours of finish trimming and drilling and we'll be building wings instead of tearing them apart - a sure sign of progress.

The original wings were built by Bill Harmon for the Kitty Hawk's owner at the time, a Mr. Champlin. It is a shame we can't save even one for the restoration - they were beautiful. Here's a photo of the upper panels after being in storage from 1973-2011.

The second shot is NC975M with her first owner, the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA. W&M started one of the first college flight training programs for students and faculty at Scott Airfield, VA, using two Kitty Hawks and several other planes for instructing and commercial flights. The deepening Depression forced the flight school to close around 1934. That's the William and Mary college crest on the aft fuselage. The Kitty Hawk came from the factory a dark green with gold trim, the College's school colors. Right now, I'm considering dark blue with orange accents done in a 1930's art deco style.

Thanks again - and let's keep searching! Bill Harmon is the only owner we've found to date. Champlin and Paschley are two names I would like to trace and contact for their side of this story. Blue skies!
Attached Images

KittyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote