View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #52
KTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
So is eating fatty foods... what if all fried foods were banned?
Doesn't hurt the people around you.

Quote:
How about drinking alcohol - some people get addicted... what if that was made illegal?
Doesn't hurt the people around you. (Unless you're irresponsible)

Quote:
Reading certain books or listening to certain music might be bad for you, according to some groups... what if those were made illegal?
I can't see reading on the beach hurting my vacation. Read a banned book!

Quote:
Speeding can cause fatal accidents - what if your car was designed to not go any faster than 25MPH?
On the flip side, what if there were no speed limits? People would be going 110 down 93...that could be fatal! Hm, sometimes rules DO help the public. Irony?

Quote:
Yes, you can get skin cancer from sun exposure so what if tanning in general was made illegal?
Hey, if someone wants to chance it and no wear sunblock, it doesn't affect me. Nobody else is going to lose out on the fun at the Weirs because of an overly-burnt swimmer.

Quote:
Too much caffeine is bad for you - so what if your coffee was made illegal?
I don't drink coffee. But again, someone ELSE drinking coffee doesn't hurt me.

Quote:
The point of this is: What if your choices were taken away from you because someone else (i.e. government) felt you couldn't be trusted to make decisions for yourself?
In conclusion, it's kind of like this: Other people are directly affected by smoking in public places. Should I NOT be able to use a public park because I can't handle the smoke? It's not my fault!

In truth, people apparently CAN'T be trusted to make decisions on their own, or they'd realize that smoking next to the family with the two year old two umbrellas over is hurting him, VERY DIRECTLY.

Quote:
Like I said... If the matter of the cigarette butts being dropped is the issue, then set a fine for littering.
That's just an added bonus.

Quote:
However, if this is done on the premise "it's bad for you!" then it's revolting logic that crosses the line into allowing government to make our moral decisions for us.
Then make it for yourself!
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote