View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #6
ApS

Default It depends...

Good question: It depends on your meaning of "Closed".

While the runway is in good condition, a big "X" was painted on the runway a couple of years ago, which should have indicated "Closed" back then. But flights continue. The east landing-approach from Wolfeboro direction is actually more friendly now that Johnson's Cove trees have been cut down.

Floatplane access has been stopped: Shortly after Ralph Horn died, his new floatplane docks were torn up. (Which started some serious lobbying and lawyering with the State of New Hampshire Attorney General, who tried to enforce a 1984 law keeping small NH airports as local resources). The AG is still "involved", but I don't know how as yet. Even today, the occasional floatplane will taxi the shoreline -- trying to find those docks.

Fees have been raised: Gas, services, lighting, storage, and maintenance have been gradually restricted to pilots over the past years; however, there are regular users every decent flying day -- and, for October, many visitors -- perhaps for leaf-peeping?

October activity included helicopters (private and government -- some very large) and twin- and single-engine aircraft -- night and day. There were three visits made by an immense Russian Antonov AN-2 biplane just last week. Very impressive sight and sounds!

From my boat, I watched a Cessna make an approach on Monday's very blustery late afternoon, but he declined to land. There is some commercial boat/trailer outdoor-storage activities going on there presently, and may have presented a landing hazard.

Sunset is the best time for us airport-junkies to watch this "closed" airport in action.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: