View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
Dave R

If you are looking at stern drive boats, expect a massive discount on one that was kept in salt water. Stern drives and salt water are a horrible combination, IMO, unless the boat is trailer or rack stored. I would avoid any raw water cooled stern drive engine that was used extensively in salt water, unless you are OK with an engine swap (which really is not all that difficult if you have the facility to do one).

If you are looking at outboard powered boats, salt water is not that big a deal since the engine(s) would typically be tilted out of the water and drained after every use.

Inboard boats (except for most ski/wake surf/wakeboard boats) are truly built for salt water use and would typically have closed cooling so the engine(s) should be fine if the pencil anodes were maintained and leaks were addressed properly. The props, shafts, struts and rudders should be fine if they were properly cared for (anodes again...).

Salt water is tough on anything metal, so factor that into the inspection. High quality exterior metal parts and hardware made of 316 stainless steel or bronze are a must in salt water. Plastic is excellent too, for many things.

My current boat and last boat were purchased in the great lakes area because I prefer super-clean used boats and the selection out there is huge. I paid a roughly 25% premium (I'd guess, based on asking prices) for both, but it was worth it.

My last boat was a raw water cooled stern drive that was trailer kept. I used it in salt water now and then. It was always thoroughly rinsed, flushed and cleaned after each salt water trip and never showed any salt water damage. I got a very good price when I sold it after 14 years of ownership and the new owners are thrilled with it.

My current boat is inboard powered and has closed cooling. It was built for salt water and is slipped in salt water. 26 years of great lakes use (except for a 7 month trip to the Bahamas) and meticulous maintenance before I got it left it pristine. I'm keeping it that way, but it's a lot of work and expense.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote