Thread: Treat New Dock?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 07:39 PM   #13
ApS

Question Does the Repeated Rebuilding of "Green" Docks Improve the Environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
It had nothing to do with going green.
It was the EPA that phased out CCA (chromated copper arsenate), beginning in 2004.

Except for turning a river orange with arsenic, the EPA represents our tax dollars at the front of "green".

Quote:
...nor is Southern Yellow Pine grown here.
Correct.

I pass-by miles and miles of Yellow Pine "forests" twice a year. It's a huge "crop".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Which is why those wells don’t produce drinking water safe for human consumption without a treatment system installed. Just because something occurs naturally doesn’t mean it’s safe to add more to the environment.
Wouldn't it make sense for the driller of those wells to continue drilling deeper when arsenic is found in the water produced?

As to arsenic in the lake, if you capped an arsenic-producing well, wouldn't that groundwater eventually find its way into the lake?

Lake Winnipesaukee is supplied by natural springs, which contain measurable units of arsenic; fortunately, the Winnipesaukee Basin is also flushed by rainwater, which regularly dilutes the arsenic--as well as other poisonous elements.

I'd be curious how Lake Winnipesaukee's water compares with Wolfeboro's town water in undesirable elements. Having seen Wolfeboro's analyses, I think I know the answer!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote