Thread: Dock Leveling
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Dock Jacking

I also got an old rachet jack from a junk yard. It has seen a lot of use and would work much better if the lip that is meant to hook under a bumper was longer and the jack itself was taller. A farm jack solves that problem and Tractor Supply in Tilton has farm jacks.

I have also used a come along but if you hook it in the top of the pipe it really needs to be offset slightly from the pipe or the weight of the dock and the angle may damage the come along by pinching it against the pipe.

When I first bought the house I was clueless about removing the dock and I hired a dock company. They left the three sections of dock in the sand in front of the house and the pipes and pins in a pile on the front lawn. I called them repeatedly to tell them that the area where the dock sections were left would be underwater in the spring but they wouldn't come back.

In the spring I got two large truck inner tubes, deflated them, and after picking the docks up slightly with a crowbar, slid them under the dock sections one at a time. After inflation it was very easy to float the sections into place, insert the pipes, and level the dock in place. I was able to put a 47 foot, 3 section, steel frame dock in by myself and it wasn't really that difficult.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote