Thread: Dock Leveling
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
Kamper

I used to help some friends with their seasonal dock that used pipes as the vertical support. I used a small scissor jack and some light chain to adjust the deck height. I carefully put the jack on top of the pylon and ran chain under the horizontal support and adjusted each section.

One year I set up the whole dock pretty much by myself and made a pair of slider jacks. Two 2X4's, 1/2" holes drilled about 2" apart. A short cross-piece for each, and a 6" bolt to go through the holes. When I started I also had washers and nuts to go with the bolts but that got to be a nuisance and changing to 8" bolts (for peace of mind) was adequate.

Put the base on the lake bottom and the short arms under the dock edge, at an angle. Push the long pieces straight up. Drop the pipe through the fitting. Adjust as necessary and lock it up. Although there will be less stress on the dock with two people working simultaneously, I was able to handle it fine.

I later used the tool to adjust the decking height when the water lever changed enough to merit the effort, and level it up when some of the pipes settled more/less than the others.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote