View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #71
Orion

Default multiple lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
this. two left lanes do not make the traffic go faster since there is a merge almost as soon as you get around the corner which means a lot of braking and dodging, then add in the crosswalk.
Actually, multiple lanes to get through a light with a later merge do, in fact, increase flow through the light since too many people are too slow to get moving when a light turns green. The merge later is usually pretty efficient as long as people are exercising normal courtesy. I have studied traffic analysis and intersection design in a former life.

Courtesy is not universal. Last week I did experience a jerk (black diesel pickup) who was on his phone in the left lane and left a huge gap in front of him when the light turned green. I was in right lane and got to the merge well ahead of him and was doing the alternating merge when he roared up and forced his way in ahead. Whatever. We're "at the lake" everybody. Relax. Being a jerk to get 20' ahead is dumb. The case of the pedestrians who got cursed for waiting their turn is another example of how we're losing it as a "society".
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post: