Thread: Internet
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Laconia area

Unfortunately Metrocast and 4G are the only game in town for high speed internet. Fairpoint has me on a list a decade ago that they will inform me when fibre optics service will be available in Laconia, otherwise you are stuck with DSL.

It took a decade for Metrocast to figure all the hiccups I have been having. Right now I am sitting at the damn excuse that the association has to upgrade the underground wires to the new digital wires. Association claims they are not responsible for underground utilities.

As for Fairpoint, a company rep did inform me that although Fibre optics are available for business in the commercial areas, fibre optics will not be available in residential areas and not even in the future. This contradict what Fairpoint advertised when they first bought the lines from Verizon.

Right now, I have a setup that when Metrocast is down or flaky, I can use my 4G LTE phone as a backup. The 4G network is surprisingly fast! Download speed may be a bit slow, I can't stream HD movies, but uploading photos and documents appears faster. An internet speed app proved my observation.

I no longer have a TV channels subscription. My 'smart Blu Ray' and my laptop connected to the TV provides all the news, shows etc. without the commercials and on my own time convenience. Verizon wireless has an app that allows me to have exclusive coverage of sports events. Who needs cable!

Why is it that my sister in NC can choose from a number of internet providers. Because of the competition she pays almost half what I am paying and a faster speed! My guess is that the cable company pays good money lobbying for exclusive rights in NH. No wonder the subscription prices are high!