View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #46
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default Equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmLife View Post
For anyone looking to read the Laconia Daily Sun article referenced in this thread's initial post, you will find it here:
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...rs-15-per-hour

As the thread went off topic...I will take an opportunity to respond to the "people are not equal" comments with this quote:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Words matter. I can agree that we are not all the same; but, as a very grateful American citizen I am proud we have a founding document that holds equality to be self-evident.

Cheers to good wine wherever it is found. Cheers to people making a decent living.
I agree in the eyes of the Lord, all men (and women) are created equal. And in our great country, all men and women should be treated equally by their government, and have an equal opportunity to succeed (or not). As mentioned by a prior poster, I am not sure whether affirmative action, which frankly can be characterized as reverse discrimination, adheres to this principle. Notwithstanding, my point above, and that of other posters, is that there is no guarantee of equal outcome. Whether it's the BLM movement or the Occupy movement, it seems that people associated with these groups are more concerned about assuring equal outcome, not equal opportunity. I think the quote supports my (our) arguments contained within this thread. Not sure whether FarmLife thought differently.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: