Thread: Cost of fuel...
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #142
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I don't know your roof or your financial situation (although you have found cash for awesome stuff such as a camp and a fleet of watercraft), so I can't tell you that solar would be a good investment for you...

But for many people with a sunny roof, the annual financial return on solar is >15%, and home equity loans are available for much less than that. In this context, a solar roof is the best investment that a "normal" person can make--much better than the expected returns on stocks, real estate, etc. That's not to say that there have not been years better than 15% for stocks and real estate, only that the average annual return is much less and the risk is much higher on these other things. The right comparison is not against a boat or other fun toy, it is against retirement savings, such as a 401K.

(Please do not tell me I am out of touch to suggest you bet your retirement. I am not suggesting that, only that you might think of this as part of a portfolio of investments. It's a high yield bond with relatively low risk.)
My problem is lack of house commitment.
I buy one, make careful upgrades that are likely to yield a return (or at least not a loss), find another home, and do it again.

My longest ownership ever was 4 years. I’ve owned 4 homes since 2014.

It’s always “the one” until it isn’t.

Because of that, it would make no sense to install solar under any circumstances, unless I was stone cold settled on staying for 20 years. Of course, as soon as I make that commitment, I’ll see another house the next day [emoji23]

I’m not complaining: It’s been financially favorable, but we always joke about never going too far with upgrades.
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeDad For This Useful Post: