Thread: Cost of fuel...
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2022, 06:14 PM   #141
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I've done the math to have solar installed twice, with two different installers, and the money I would've had to front—or take loans on—would have prohibited other things in my life. I think that's the simple reality for most people in America and that, frankly, you're out of touch.

It takes money to save money!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I don't know your roof or your financial situation (although you have found cash for awesome stuff such as a camp and a fleet of watercraft), so I can't tell you that solar would be a good investment for you...

But for many people with a sunny roof, the annual financial return on solar is >15%, and home equity loans are available for much less than that. In this context, a solar roof is the best investment that a "normal" person can make--much better than the expected returns on stocks, real estate, etc. That's not to say that there have not been years better than 15% for stocks and real estate, only that the average annual return is much less and the risk is much higher on these other things. The right comparison is not against a boat or other fun toy, it is against retirement savings, such as a 401K.

(Please do not tell me I am out of touch to suggest you bet your retirement. I am not suggesting that, only that you might think of this as part of a portfolio of investments. It's a high yield bond with relatively low risk.)