Thread: Property taxes
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 06:20 AM   #18
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I just found out based on a survey we have done that we have 20% less frontage and 25% less acreage than our purchase and sale agreement, deed and tax card all indicate. I'll be finding out how good they are when I have to get it all corrected soon.
It's up to the landowner to look out for their own interests. The people who do the assessments are not paid to survey your property. They take available public documents and do a quick comparison, if the town actually pays them to visit the property. Most of the time they assume that the interior layout and descriptions are as listed on the existing property card. It would be an enormous cost to do a detailed assessment on all the property in a town so they just don't do it.

Further, even if you get the assessment corrected, I have seen errors creep in as they review over the years and somehow insert erroneous information, perhaps from some inaccurate public record.

I would like to see a law that says you can (owner's choice) get your assessment description "certified" by a survey and a full, on site review of your home. Once certified, no descriptive changes would be allowed until reviewed and approved by the homeowner or through owner approved documents like a building permit. Proposed changes would have to specifically called out.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote