View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #16
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Been a resident of Hooksett for the past 20+ years.

Hooksett does NOT require you to bring recyclables to the transfer station although they will take them AND their grandiose idea of forcing everyone in town to recycle ended in an EPIC fail a couple years after it started with about a million or so of taxpayers money spent on special trucks, cans and who knows what else. Why? It was costing the town a small fortune to recycle - far cry from the "cash cow" those pushing it at the time promised. Instead of paying for itself in a year or two turns out was in the hole hundreds of thousands of dollars in just "operating costs".

Certain metals and glass are good candidates for recycling, paper products are not the process is toxic to the environment.
I don't think I have ever seen a straight line accounting of the costs to recycle both financially and environmentally. Aside from the money involved I very much doubt there is any net gain for the planet after running multiple truck routes with tires, wear and tear and diesel; how many pound of extra pollution for that. Then the extra energy to move the stuff around, forklifts, loaders, conveyors, crush it transport it. I think it's 95% virtue signaling
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote