View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
.... floating wood items.....as well as a 10' long 4x6 dock post with a large bolt.
Just before crossing over the LI bridge mid-day, I spotted what turned out to be a well-worn 12-foot 6x6 post floating up against the rocks (the one you saw?). This was on the south mainland side. I climbed over the rail and down to the water. The thing had a large lag bolt protruding from it, thread end out. I used that for a handle to drag the post up onto the embankment and secure it so it couldn't slide back into the water. Boy was that thing water-heavy; moving it was difficult. Tell your lower unit I appreciate it's thanks for the effort.

Actually, I had called Marine Patrol mid-morning to report what looked from a distance, using field glasses, what could have been a good sized dock section drifting slowly with the light air moving then, near FL64. My boat's not in yet, so I couldn't investigate, but MP said they would. The breeze picked up a bit, and ultimately changed direction. I have no idea where it ended up.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote