View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #52
Grant

I've harped on this issue many times, and at the risk of repeating myself, I will reiterate...from experience.

Kill them now. If we don't, they will destroy the lake. Quickly.

I've spent every one of my 51 summers, plus a lot of spring, fall and winter time, on the Lake, and the sudden explosion of the Canada Goose population is the most worrisome development I've seen in those years.

The rest of my time is spent in Southeastern Pennsylvania, where it's already too late. The geese are everywhere, and many of our formerly drinkable/swimmable waters are now forever lost. These geese reproduce unchecked -- with ~6-10 offspring each spring. No predators to speak of (and the eggs are well protected), so the population just grows and grows each year. All they do is eat and poop, and the "green tootsie rolls" they leave behind are a major health hazard. Today, HUGE populations of geese reside in office campuses, golf courses, parks, school grounds -- anywhere there is grass and water.

The burgeoning goose population doesn't seem to be a problem in NH right now, but it will be. Trust me on this. I've seen the future of the Lakes Region, and if you want to see it, just come down here and check out Lake Nockamixon, Peace Valley Reservoir, Springfield Lake, Green Lane Reservoir, and other formerly usable bodies of water. Now disgusting and green-tinged.

I saw a family of four adults and about 20+ juveniles float by our place this spring, and threw handfuls of pebbles at them. No one was hurt...it just kept them moving...to somewhere else on the Lake. Sadly, it seems the only real solution is more drastic. Unfortunately, unless the State takes real action, I'm afraid it's too late, and we're just seeing the beginning.