View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
camp guy

Default Lakes Region Generation

The Lakes region is populated by many people who got their start in the Region by doing something else - going to one of the private schools, working in one of the restaurants, motels, hotels, being a camper/staff member at a summer camp - and then, after they had "gone off to make their fortune", they returned to the Region to have a primary or secondary home.

Many stories behind the story include couples meeting while working in the area, staying in touch through school and work years, getting married, and then, eventually, returning to this area.

I think a measure of how the Lakes Region creeps into people's lives can be seen by looking at the number of out of state vanity license plates that include letters trying to say "Lake Winnipesaukee", "Wolfeboro", "Melvin Village", and many other local geographic landmarks. People living out of state using local NH area landmarks for thie out of state license plates must get a smile when seeing other people trying to figure out what the heck that plate is all about.

My wife and I were in Central Pennsylvania recently and I saw a car with Pennsylvania plates with "HMPTNBCH" as their 'number'. Small world.

I know that in Wolfeboro there are people who got their start as a camper at my family's summer camp (Camp Wyanoke) many, many years ago.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote