View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #27
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
That's just cruel!
Spring is the best time to Ramp Watch. Lots of newly "Certificated" mariners with their new boats and no hands on experience. Typically they are older boats that haven't been started and or run since last season....or even longer. The most common situation is the engine won't start, and the line waiting to launch is getting longer.

I have a favorite spot to watch the proceedings from the top of the ramp where I can see the starboard side of the boat (aft) where the bilge pump discharge is usually located. If they actually get the boat in the water..and maybe even the engine started, I watch for the bilge pump to come on and start pumping water. If I see this, I make a quick sprint down to the boat and ask the owner if he put the Plug In. Sometimes just a blank stare. What plug? Most of them are appreciative of the reminder.

BTW: Don't even bother to try to put the plug in, from the boat, after the boat is in the water. It's impossible to do....especially if you have an out drive. Your arms are not long enough. Just smile at the people waiting, ...haul the boat back out...put the plug in and relaunch

My very First Launch of my last powerboat over 20 years ago is when I learned this lesson. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post: